Macaroni and Cheese with a Crusty Crunch
Adapted from Now Eat This! by Rocco DiSpirito
makes 4 side servings
Nonstick Cooking Spray
8 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
1 cup onion-garlic puree (see instructions below)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches of cayenne pepper
2 cup shredded 50% reduced fat cheddar, such as Cabot
2/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt (I used 2%)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs (I used regular as I had it in the pantry)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Onion-Garlic Puree: Roughly chop 1 large onion, plus 9 garlic cloves. Place in bowl with 1/2 cup of water. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. Process until smooth in blender, food processor or mini chopper. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 8x8 or larger baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions, 7 to 9 minutes; drain.
3. While the pasta is cooking, bring the onion-garlic puree, mustard and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in the cheddar until it has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the yogurt.
4. In a medium bowl, toss the cooked macaroni with the cheese sauce to coat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the macaroni into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle the panko over the top. Top with the parmesan cheese.
5. Bake until cheese has melted and the macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.